Wednesday, August 19, 2009

G.I. Joe Is the Best Movie Ever (Sort Of)

So I'm gonna start the backlog with the most recent, and then work my way back. And what a difficult film to talk about here. Movies like G.I. Joe often make me doubt the effectiveness of a letter grading system, or, really, any kind of ranking system at all, when it comes to movies. Let's face it, G.I. Joe sucks. It is truly terrible, in just about every way that a movie can be terrible. The acting is poor, the writing doesn't make sense, it's got literally every single action cliché you can imagine.

But I LOVED it. I honestly don't think I've had more fun at a movie this summer than I did at this one. It is, in every way, what happens when you put a bunch G.I. Joe toys on the big screen, running solely on spectacle and nostalgia and not losing a bit of steam right through to the cliffhanger, sequel-guaranteed ending. If I had my druthers, I'd give the thing an A+ and get on with my life.

Now, clearly I can't in good conscious do that, because that would imply that G.I. Joe is better than several movies I've reviewed this year, and just as good as "Up" was, and neither of those things is true, by any stretch of the imagination. But you'd better believe that I enjoyed this movie more than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, like a lot, largely because G.I. Joe didn't make me want to stab my eyes out every 15 minutes. In fact, I would happily watch G.I. Joe again, and I wouldn't even feel like I wasted my 10 dollars. The movie is fun, pure and simple, and anyone expecting anything more is clueless about what G.I. Joe is actually supposed to be (and those same people probably think Transformers is worth watching, which is just not true).

You know what? Fuck it.

A+

No comments:

Post a Comment